PROFESSIONAL SPANISH INTERPRETER AND TRANSLATOR
The Center for Appellate Litigation (CAL) seeks to hire a full-time Spanish Interpreter and Translator.
CAL is a fifty-attorney, non-profit public defense law firm dedicated to fighting injustice through
exceptional advocacy and enduring compassion for every client. We represent indigent New
Yorkers convicted of crimes in Manhattan and the Bronx in their criminal appeals and other
post-conviction proceedings. We envision a post-conviction process grounded in our clients’
humanity, and we pursue dynamic approaches to serve our clients and challenge the status quo.
CAL’s clients include many mono-lingual Spanish speakers and clients whose language
preference is Spanish. To provide the fullest possible support to these clients and the CAL
attorneys and staff who serve them, CAL seeks to hire a full-time interpreter and translator to
work alongside CAL’s attorneys and other essential CAL staff to interpret from Spanish to
English and English to Spanish during, in-person client interviews and witness interviews, and
phone calls (via telephone or video) with clients and their families. This position will also
require the candidate to provide written translations of client letters, court documents, and other
Other tasks will include coordinating staff interpretation and translation requests and facilitating,
as needed, staff requests for interpretation or translation involving languages other than Spanish
using an outside translation and interpretation service (Telelanguage), and developing
standardized Spanish templates. While interpretation and translation and associated
administrative tasks are anticipated to occupy the candidate’s time, the candidate may also be
asked to assist, if their interpretation and translation duties permit, with noninterpretation/
translation administrative tasks.
Because Spanish interpretation and translation are crucial parts of CAL’s communication as they
serve as a bridge between clients and their defense attorneys, excellent communication skills and
experience with legal terminology are critical. Candidates should also have strong organizational
skills and work well both independently and in a team setting.
As this is a new position at CAL, we are seeking an individual who is flexible and creative, able
to grow the position and develop systems and resources that will best address our staff and client
We are looking to hire immediately.
For more information, visit www.appellate-litigation.org
Qualifications & Expectations
• Spanish language fluency (speaking, reading, and writing) and experience with a variety
of Spanish dialects is required. Court-interpreter certification is preferred.
• At least two to three years of professional interpretation and translation experience.
• Applicant should be passionate about criminal defense and immigration justice. Prior
experience in a legal setting or with immigrant communities is preferred.
• Experience training others in interpretation best practices is a “plus.”
• Applicant should be well-versed in legal terminology.
• Exceptional organizational, communication and interpersonal skills.
• Must be a team-player able to work effectively and sensitively with individuals from
• Must be able to prioritize appropriately and make sure tasks are completed on time and
• Must be detail-oriented, self-motivated, and able to multi-task.
• Must be proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word and Excel).
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Ability to interpret/translate both verbal and written communication from English to
Spanish and Spanish to English.
• Provide interpretations as required by in-person interviews (on-site and occasionally offsite,
including courts and detention and correctional facilities) and phone or video
• Prepare written translations of a variety of materials in both language directions,
including but not limited to letters, legal documents, personal statements, and general
• Create standardized Spanish templates and update as needed.
• Coordinate Spanish-English interpretation and translation requests and facilitate staff
requests, using outside interpretation/translation services involving other languages, as
• Maintain all client confidences.
• Remain impartial in all situations, interpreting accurately and completely, whatever the
content of the communication.
• Handle interpretation and translation-related administrative tasks, and, duties permitting,
other administrative tasks, including, but not limited to, data entry, reception desk, and
* * *
All employees must be current with Covid vaccination requirements.
Salary range: $60,000 - $75,000, depending on experience, education and qualifications.
Excellent benefits are provided.
At CAL, we embrace and value our staff’s diversity, and we welcome applications from people
of color; people with disabilities; and people of LGBTQ+ identities. CAL is an equal opportunity
employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without
unlawful discrimination on the basis of age, arrest or conviction record, caregiver status,
citizenship status, color, credit history, creed, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic
information, national origin, marital status, partnership status, pregnancy, race, religion, salary
history, sexual and reproductive health decisions, sexual orientation, status as a covered veteran
or active military service member, or status as a victim of domestic violence, stalking, and sex
offenses in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Interested candidates should email a single PDF file with cover letter and a resume to:
email@example.com. The email should be titled “Spanish interpreter position.” Applications
will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.